Tuesday, March 15, 2011

March Inspection II

After finding the two struggling colonies yesterday, I decided only one of them was worth trying to save. So I put together a poly nuc with 3 new frames and transferred the colony and two frames with large amounts of capped syrup into the nuc and added an empty frame feeder as well, just to help fill out the space. To some this may seem a little early to be making this sort of adjustment, but the old hive floor and frames were littered with dead bees which were mouldy and the colony would of struggled to keep warm in a full size chamber.  

Twenty minutes later.