I decided to buy a poly langstroth hive and all plastic frames to trial after I had read so many good reports from others about them.
The hive I bought to start with was a double medium, floor, feeder and roof. I also bought enough one piece medium plastic frames and spent an hour out in the sun painting the molten wax over them as I didn't have a small fleece roller at the time. Below is a video of John a friend of mine showing how to prepare the frames.
I shook swarmed the prime swarm from the Dartington hive into the poly hive and fed them about 3 gallons of feed over the next few weeks. Ideally it was a little late in the season to shook swarm a colony onto new undrawn frames but after a slow start they quickly drew out most of the frames and stored massive amounts of the Apinvert feed I was giving them. The queen began to lay large patches of eggs and by the end of August they looked very happy in their new home.
The most important lesson is that bees are guided by what they want to do even a seemingly minor action could upset the fine balance within a colony so its important to learn as much as you can and try to understand what the colony's needs are ahead of time.